Based on our experience as a Bristol moving company and ‘man with a van’ service provider,
we’ve created a comprehensive list of tips for packing general household goods to help with any move.
Following few easy steps, your goods will stay protected during the home move.
Please see main below:
Packaging materials you may need to supply before you start packing:
- Various sizes of strong boxes – from small to wardrobe boxes
- Bubble wrap & padding materials – to wrap fragile items
- Wrapping paper or newspapers – to wrap glassware
- Shrink wrap – to keep dismantled furniture pieces together or wrap furniture, to ensure extra protection and prevent doors and drawers from opening while moving.
- Strong brown tape – for sealing boxes
- Marker pens – to label boxes
- Strong sacks – to cover bedding stuff, pillows etc, also can be used for packing shoes & clothing
General guide when using cardboard boxes for packing:
- Make sure you’re using strong double wall boxes
- Ensure that the bottom of the box has additional tape to prevent from opening when lifted
- Don’t underfill or overfill boxes, ideally, all boxes must be filled to their level for easy double-stacking inside of the removal truck.
- Empty gaps can be filled up with paper, plastic or soft pillows to prevent from moving and clatter inside of the box during the transit.
- Consider using smaller boxes for heavy items, such as books, or fragile items such as kitchen glassware
- Maximum weight of one box 12-14kg – Don’t make them too heavy to carry
- Don’t forget to mark them, that would help you when unpacking and removal men while loading/unloading.
Packing Kitchen & fragile items:
- Choose smaller boxes to pack fragile items, to make sure glassware won’t crack under its own weight
- China, crystal, ceramic kitchenware always must be packed individually and bubble wrapped.
- Wrap plates, cups or every fragile item in a wrapping paper, bubble wrap or newspaper, to prevent it from chipping and breaking
- Glasses should be individually wrapped and packed standing up; they’re much, much stronger when standing than if laid on their side.
- Lay bubble wrap on the bottom of the box and between every level of glassware and before sealing the box
- Place heavier items on the bottom and lighter on the top of the box
- Mark every box as ‘fragile’ to aware your removal men.
- Bigger boxes can be used to pack non-fragile cookware, such as pans, bowls, pots etc.
When packing liquids:
Check nozzles and caps, pack them in individual plastic bags and stack upright, also consider
using plastic boxes rather than cardboard in case if it starts leaking.
- Choose multiple small boxes as books are heavy.
- Pack them horizontally and tight.
There are many variations of packing clothes, depending on the budget:
- Strong bin liners
- Empty suitcases you may have in your attic or garage.
- Plastic or cardboard boxes
- Wardrobe boxes with hanger bars
Packing electrical devices & Living room:
- Any size of boxes can be used to pack electrical devices.
- Remember to unplug all electronics
- Bubble wrap fragile items before placing in the box.
- Remove all paintings, mirrors from the wall
- Small pictures also can be bubble-wrapped and packed in one box.
- Glazed framed paintings, pictures and mirrors can be wrapped in blankets or bubble wrapped
- Non-glazed framed paintings needs to be additionally covered with bubble wrap, cardboard
and shrink wrap to ensure extra protection against squashing. Alternatively, special art carrying boxes can be used.
- Make extra attention to the corners when packing paintings
- Same rules as listed above apply when you packing your flat screen TV and Monitors if the original box is missing.Also, TV stand needs to be removed before transportation to avoid cracking.
- Flat-packed cardboard boxes can be used to achieve two previous packing tips.
This article has been made by AJM Removals Bristol.
Don’t have the time or just don’t want to pack everything yourself? Please contact us for a free no-obligation quote.
We are based in Bristol and we provide a professional and affordable home moving & packing service and available for the man with van removal service too.